Harimau ('groundtiger')

a forum for discussing the Silat and Poekoelan systems found within Reeders' arts

Moderators: kungfujoe, Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

Sumatran Harimau.( tiger style) High attacks to distract to set up low line power attacks to lower parts of the body. ex. groin legs knee's etc.
Levers using all parts of your body to use as a scissors motion on the opponent. ex. hand & elbow lever, hand & foot, hand & shoulder, foot & knee and more. Once the opponent is down working your way up the torso with hands and knee's as weapons. Hitting,tearing, jumping,rolling and much more.
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

That is for sure one of the Harimau techs. Play around with it more and more and you will come up with all the different combo's of your own body parts being used as scissors,locks and "whips" Sifu dan
munkman
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by munkman »

Is this harimau system the same as the low tiger system. Sifu Mckissick was demonstrating some low tiger techniques and I wanted to know if this is the same thing.

Sounds similar from the descriptions above.
In movement, be as swift as the wind; In slow marches, be as majestic as the forest; In raiding and plundering, be as fierce as fire; In defence, be as firm as mountains; In camoflage, be as impenetrable as darkness; When striking, be as overwhelming as thunderbolts.
Sun Tzu
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kungfujoe »

munkman wrote:Is this harimau system the same as the low tiger system. Sifu Mckissick was demonstrating some low tiger techniques and I wanted to know if this is the same thing.
Yep. Harimau means tiger, and specifically refers to Indonesian (Silat) tiger application, which differs quite a bit from the "flavor" of most Chinese tiger (hu/fu/laohu) systems.
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb
munkman
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by munkman »

Ahhhh

Now I have better focus for my research on the subject as a begginner in the system I was very unfamiliar with silat, kuntao, or southeast asian fighting styles. Though it was never explained in depth, I couldn't really place this tiger fighting with any thing I had ever seen via hung gar or fu jow pai.

Do you know of any good resources on the history or tactics of harimau.

Peace
In movement, be as swift as the wind; In slow marches, be as majestic as the forest; In raiding and plundering, be as fierce as fire; In defence, be as firm as mountains; In camoflage, be as impenetrable as darkness; When striking, be as overwhelming as thunderbolts.
Sun Tzu
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kungfujoe »

munkman wrote:Now I have better focus for my research on the subject as a begginner in the system I was very unfamiliar with silat, kuntao, or southeast asian fighting styles. Though it was never explained in depth, I couldn't really place this tiger fighting with any thing I had ever seen via hung gar or fu jow pai.

Do you know of any good resources on the history or tactics of harimau.
Lance,

Two good books to start with on Indonesian martial arts research are Donn F. Draeger's "Weapons and Fighting of Indonesia" (ISBN 978-0804817165) and Donn F. Draeger & Robert W. Smith's "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts" (ISBN 978-0870114366) (In both cases, drop the "978-" for the older ISBN-10 code)
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb
munkman
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by munkman »

Thanx a bundle a found a few cheap copies on amazon... would you know if the book Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals: The Brutal Arts Of The Archipelago by Bob Orlando is any good? I was looking at that when I searched for the aformentioned titles.

Thanx in advance
Peace
Sun Tzu