Evaluating Dit Da Jow

Herbs for dit da jow (bruises), medicine internal and external, food therapy, etc...
monjet
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Evaluating Dit Da Jow

Post by monjet »

I am a bit curious as to how to evaluate the various different formulas and how one is able to determine if a formula has been made correctly. Also how does one evaluate the effectiveness of the formula. I do not have much background in Chinese medicine, and all that I really know about dit da jow is that it is supposed to help heal bruising. Although what I do not know is if this is supposed to help heal the bruises faster or if helps the skin/bruised area to heal stronger, but as the same rate as normal. Also any studies that people know about relating the effictiveness of dit da jow would be useful.

Peace,
Ross
jkinnear
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Evaluating Dit Da Jow

Post by jkinnear »

monjet wrote:I am a bit curious as to how to evaluate the various different formulas and how one is able to determine if a formula has been made correctly.
There are so many different different formulas that it is difficult to know for sure if it was made correctly. Also there are variances in herbs from season to season and the area they were grown in which can effect quality (I think that is one of allopathic medicines criticisms of herbalism). I have used the same formula several times even from the same batch of herbs and it has turned out somewhat differently. It truley is an alchemical process. The process and the person making it are equally important as the herbs used, in my opinion.
Also how does one evaluate the effectiveness of the formula.
The best way to evaluate is empirical use and to know the herbs and their actions. Failing that, get the "jow" from someone you trust. Also keep in mind that the older a batch gets the better it is, kind of like wine.
I do not have much background in Chinese medicine, and all that I really know about dit da jow is that it is supposed to help heal bruising. Although what I do not know is if this is supposed to help heal the bruises faster or if helps the skin/bruised area to heal stronger, but as the same rate as normal.

It depends on the formula. A simple dit da jow formula is for healing bruises. Some more complex formulas do add herbs for healing stronger. There are herbs specifically for healing bones, tendons, soft tissue, etc.

Any bruise (or pain) is stagnation of Qi and Xue (blood). Since qi and xue go hand in hand.

"The qi (yang) is the commander of the blood (yin)." "Blood (yin) is the mother of qi (yang)."

I said all that to say this: any time you you speed up the movement of qi and xue you speed up the healing process. If you have pain without brusing you still have stagnant qi and xue. If you invigorate the blood and flush out the stagnation the pain will lessen or subside. Anything not of "perfect health" let go to long will transform into something else (and it usaully isn't for the better). This is because of the nature of yin and yang to transform into each other.

An empirical experiment you do to test this is to hold the back of your hand about an inch or two over a bruise. You will feel the heat produced by the qi (yang) trying to move the blood (yin). Once you get that sensitivity down you can feel less severe stagnations in people by holding your hand over them. Energetic medicine is not "voodoo" just simple physics.

Then there are "Iron Palm" formulas for toughening the tissues and bones. There are external and internal formulas and some that do both.

There are some "all purpose" formulas that do everything, but of course the trade off is that it doesn't focus on the specific problem at hand. If you have an injured tendon you would be better off with a formula containing herbs that focus on tendons.

The modification formula that I posted is a good place to start if you want to experiment. I created a quick referrance sheet if you are interested.
Also any studies that people know about relating the effictiveness of dit da jow would be useful.
There are not a lot of studies that I know of done in a "scientific" way. There is no money in it for "western" researchers and anything done it China is very suspect. Suffice it to say Chinese are not know for following double blind research model. But if I find any I will post it.

I have plans to develop a correspondence course or possibly a series for martial artists to study Oriental Medicine. I have collected books and study materials for that purpose.

Well I hope I didn't ramble too much and I answered your questions.
Jeffrey Kinnear L.Ac., Dipl. O.M., MSOM

The only constant is change, the only absolute is vodka.
monjet
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by monjet »

I did find that somewhat useful, alhtough I can understand how it can be difficult to give definate answers, given the nature of the subject.
There are not a lot of studies that I know of done in a "scientific" way. There is no money in it for "western" researchers and anything done it China is very suspect. Suffice it to say Chinese are not know for following double blind research model. But if I find any I will post it.
This is rather a sad state of affairs, because I believe both could greatly benefit from this.

Peace,
Ross