Slapping

a forum for discussing the Silat and Poekoelan systems found within Reeders' arts

Moderators: kungfujoe, Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

slapping

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

Michael , sorry about the long delay on this issue. Yes I am very familiar this the slapping techs. of our system. You are correct in all aspects, for distraction and rebounding. When moving into a three point stance (lion) we use the slap off your own hip to rebound into the opp. groin or using it the other way as rebounding off his groin to your hip to avoid hitting your own groin. Also as a distraction for the opp. to look toward the slap. For ex. , slapping your own shoulder to attract his eye's to it and rebound off your shoulder to his eye. When passing across your opp. (which I like to do alot) I use the palm slaps against my body and rebound into the opp. with the fingers and knuckles at various targets and heights. Very effective in opening the opp. up for a power strike such as a shin or ankle kick to the groin. Which is another key weapon in our system, using kicks as a straight leg weapon like kicking a football. Not bending the knee as in a traditonal snap kick. We can discuss those aspects in another post. Sifu Dan
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

slapping,whipping

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

When I teach the slaps & whips the first time to a student I use set combo's. starting with 1 whip, then 2, 3 & 4. each progressing into a pattern. some start high some low. using a stationary stance at first. ( 3 point,Lion) at first vertical whips then add horizontal . also using set points on the body to launch the strikes from. this is for the rebounding and for the students safety of getting hit by his own whips.
the patterns are learned in the air,against a bag and focus mitts.
then more footwork is added. sifu dan