Serak

a forum for discussing the Silat and Poekoelan systems found within Reeders' arts

Moderators: kungfujoe, Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

Serak or Sera. Founded by Pak Sera. This is a touchy subject. GGM Reeders was from this lineage. The system now I believe is under Victor de Thouars. But is anyone really teaching the true Serak. Who is the Pendekar. Paul,Victor Maurice???? Paul and Victor have side systems. Paul (Bukti Negara) Victor ( Tongkat ). I have met both and lucky enough to study from Paul, plus many years with Guru Inosanto who has now studied with both Paul and Victor. So I have taken what I have learned added it to the Chuan - Fa and stayed out of the politic's.
My conversation with Paul while eating a very good chinese lunch was about GGM Reeders. Paul was too young to study from Reeders, Reeders was working out with his uncle Ernest ( Nes ) de Vries and dating his mother at the same time. Paul told me Reeders had an uncanny gift in that he could absorb a style in weeks. He would jump from one silat master to another picking up there system. Reeders liked Nes because he only wanted to work on fighting techniques, on the other hand Nes's brother Johann dove into the whole system with juru's and langka's.
After the war Paul and his mother traveled to Ubon prison, there they met Reeders again.
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Innosanto Arts with Liu Seong Arts

Post by kungfujoe »

originally posted by 4Points

Sifu Dan:

In your opinion, how well do Guro Innosanto's arts blend with the Liu Seong Chuan Fa?

I ask, because I have three years of Innosanto Kali in my distant past. While I find some things similar, there are also some differences in the footwork that I find hard to reconcile.

S.
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

inosanto /liu seong

If you are referring to the kali footwork, then I don't use it as much for the fighting aspect. The rest of his blend works very well with the chuan-fa,even the jkd. Did I answer your question S. ? Sifu dan
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Innosanto/Liu Seong

Post by kungfujoe »

originally posted by 4Points

Thanks, Sifu Dan.

Yes, your answer makes sense to me, although I should have specified that I was thinking about the empty-hand aspects of Innosanto Kali. (In my experience the armed and empty handed Innosanto footwork is pretty much the same.)

S.
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

serak

The system is straight forward in its attacks, crashing through the guard, but then using mutiple angles and levers to off balance . The inside techniques are very subtle. Using fingers, thumbs, rolling motion of the wrist,slapping your own body to create levers.
What I found surprising was the techniques that Joe Salomone was teaching at the first seminar I attended was a combination of what I learned from Sifu Galvin and Pendekar Paul de Thouars. That was the connection I was looking for. I knew what he was doing and where he was taking the techniques before he did them. Did I answer your question Michael?? Sifu Dan

p.s. I just got back from vacation and met up with Bob Servideo and Scott Young. We talked for hours, exchanged great stories and looked over many old photo's from the 1960's. I want to thank both of them for meeting me at my motel, it was a pleasure to meet them both I had a great time. Sifu Dan
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

silat lean

Yes the body is forward on certain entries, the head is actually past the opp. sometimes. And the focus is differnent, not staring at your target but looking away and striking as if the opp. is not there. I have had wing chun and karate students who have had a hard time with this concept. Its dangerous because you can't pull your punches as easy as it is when seeing your target with both eyes. Siifu Dan