Distinctiveness

a forum for the discussion of philosophical approaches to training and the resultant effect on concept and instruction.
jkinnear
Site Admin
Site Admin

Distinctiveness

Post by jkinnear »

I would have to agree with that. What I draw from this is what we have is a unique, rare and valuable thing. We had better treasure what we have. Preserve it as best we can and pass it on. Even the Chinese arts are being "disposed of" at an alarming rate. The younger Chinese have very little interest in the arts. They all want to have what western society has. If they really want our stress, hypertension, and debt they can have mine. I want what they used to have. A simpler life with a code of honor.
Jeffrey Kinnear L.Ac., Dipl. O.M., MSOM

The only constant is change, the only absolute is vodka.
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kungfujoe »

Personally, I think the difference that Mike notes is at least as much a product of differences between Japanese culture and Indonesian culture as anything else. Japanese culture tends to be very structured and procedural. That's reflected in Japanese martial arts, which tend to be very regimented in their training (hierarchy, curriculum, bunkai, etc). Chinese culture is less so, and more of the arts are family-oriented. Indonesian culture seems to be even less "structured" and their martial arts are almost downright chaotic in the way they're taught. I've seen evidence in the more "purely" Indonesian arts as well as the Duch-Indo versions (or, in our case, the Chinese-Dutch-Indo version).

It may also have something to do with the underground nature of Silat and Kuntao during the time when Japan was occupying them (when non-Japanese arts were outlawed, and practiced only in secret). That undoubtedly served to obfuscate some Silat/Kuntao/Poekoelan history.
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb