Original Students

A listing of the students of GGM Reeders.
mbar

Original Students

Post by mbar »

GGM had alot of students, many of whom are relatively unknown, and may very well wish to remain that way. The listing below is restricted to individuals who are somewhat well known as original students.

Art Sikes
Jerry Bradigan
Robert Servidio
Carl Spitale
Ed 'Tiny' Sealy
Gary Galvin
Jim Corwin
Tom Ronin
Allen Woodward
Bruce Lee (?)
Harry Zimmer
Artis Simmons
George Carter
Gallen Benson
Last edited by mbar on March 21st, 2007, 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

you can add to the list of originals. Jim Corwin and Tom Ronin
mbar

Post by mbar »

Thank you for the additions, Sifu.

Some manner of biography will also be added for each Original at some point in the future.

mbar
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bruce Lee

Post by kungfujoe »

originally poted by rob_silat

I heard in passing that Bruce Lee was a student of GGM Reeders I didn't really give it any thought because I thought they might be kidding. Does anyone know for sure.
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb
Sifu Guro Dan Donzella

Reeders / Lee

Post by Sifu Guro Dan Donzella »

I don't know how many lessons but the word is that they did get together at least once and also wrote on concepts of the silat arts, Lee was very interested in learning what silat had to offer to add to his JKD.
Guro Dan Inosanto told me the same,and showed me some of the notes Lee wrote. They where not techs. but thoughts on the system.

Sifu Dan
munkman
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Credibility?

Post by munkman »

I had a question on the credibility of Guy Savelli? (sp?) I've heard many things about him, but not sure of his standings or truth behind his huc chung kun tao lineage from reeders.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
In movement, be as swift as the wind; In slow marches, be as majestic as the forest; In raiding and plundering, be as fierce as fire; In defence, be as firm as mountains; In camoflage, be as impenetrable as darkness; When striking, be as overwhelming as thunderbolts.
Sun Tzu
suchi hati
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

master Savelli

Post by suchi hati »

As it has been said before, the proof is in the pudding.Master Savelli is not one to be taken lightly.He has many years matching hands with all commers. I believe his past speaks for itself.Also many have made lite of his web site,if you have the eyes to see you will find a great deal here.Master Savelli was my first techer in 1970, I then have trained with GM Servidio as well as Master Young.

Mark Fox
" If I give you one corner of a square and you cannot deduce the other three from the given, your art will never flourish."

" See one, understand three. "

" Teacherless knowledge. "
Phil Elmore
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by Phil Elmore »

Respectfully, I think the question was about lineage and its veracity, rather than whether Master Savelli is a talented martial artist or effective fighter.
- Phil Elmore
Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
suchi hati
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by suchi hati »

Mr.Elmore,

It was nice of you to make your first post correcting my previous post. I would like to know what art you have trained, were you military, law enfocement etc.

Mark Fox
" If I give you one corner of a square and you cannot deduce the other three from the given, your art will never flourish."

" See one, understand three. "

" Teacherless knowledge. "
Guru Jim
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Master Savelli

Post by Guru Jim »

I have trained with Master Savelli for sometime. All I can say is the man is someone you don't want to cross, but a very caring teacher. I enjoyed my training and the time I was there. Say what you want, I liked what he taught me.

Take Care,
Guru James Hogue
Malay Fighting Arts Academy
www.pukulan.net
The Red Ant
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by The Red Ant »

The following was a posting I made in another section, but think it is appropriate to repost in this section about the "original" students.

When I referred to Tiny not receiving acknowledgement I was applying that remark in "general." The impetus for me to join this site was because I did not see Tiny's name to the "original students list." In fact, his name was later added to the list because of an email I wrote. While Tiny has never sought any sort of recognition and has remained like the old master living in the woods, I feel compelled to share our lineage and give credit to Tiny's history with Willem Reeders. I think if a site like this is to inform and share information it should be done in a manner to give credit to the training of such a great man as Willem Reeders...after all, he earned!

Please don't think I was implying the people on this site are not giving Tiny (or others ) credit, but do feel the need to give a version of the story often overlooked or forgotten.

For example, some things I think need to be clarified. Kun Tao was just one art Reeders taught...let's list the other arts (like this site does) he taught and who of course studied that art. Remember those who studied Chuan Fa are not kuntaoist just because Reeder's was their instructor and vice versa. Reeders taught another form of Kung Fu in Jamestown that I am not even sure of the name, but one of those students was Sam Lumia of Jamestown. We should look into that some more too. Also, it strikes me as unusual that many suggest they studied kun tao from Reeders when they could not have been old enough, or at a time when he wasn't teaching the art anymore. We should therefore post years that these art forms were instructed and taught by Reeders, don't you agree?

Lastly, I would like to promote peace to those in the Reeder's lineage! Tiny has always spoke of anyone (not just kuntaoists) who he trained with or knew Reeders trained as one of his brothers. There was always camaraderie among students no matter what their ability or level...as well as treating one another with kindness and respect. I was fortunate to train with Tiny for many years and think of him like a father--I know he thinks of me as a son. That is the sort of relationship Tiny had with Reeders. Reeder's students never bickered amongst themselves. Tiny was at my house today telling me if he went someplace and saw another student (years after training with one another) they would hug each other and always give recognition. I have talked with some others and felt they have not reciprocated the same hospitality Tiny or some of his students (me included) have demonstrated to those wanting to learn a technique or some information. In short, there seems to be way too much politics and animosity among those in the Reeder's family. Tiny has asked me to express these thoughts as he is not very savvy when it comes to using the computer. I look forward to offering you some of Tiny's stories and thoughts in the future and wish you all the very best.
"Pain is the best instructor, but nobody wants him for a teacher." Author Unknown
mbar

Post by mbar »

'When I referred to Tiny not receiving acknowledgement I was applying that remark in "general." The impetus for me to join this site was because I did not see Tiny's name to the "original students list." In fact, his name was later added to the list because of an email I wrote. While Tiny has never sought any sort of recognition and has remained like the old master living in the woods, I feel compelled to share our lineage and give credit to Tiny's history with Willem Reeders. I think if a site like this is to inform and share information it should be done in a manner to give credit to the training of such a great man as Willem Reeders...after all, he earned!'

yes, i added Ed Sealy's name to the list of original students based on information i recieved from Brian.
johnhl
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by johnhl »

I'd like to add Richard Lopez in Erie,PA
kungfujoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kungfujoe »

For those who have not yet heard, I'm saddened to pass on the news that GM Arthur Sikes passed away on July 3rd.
Erik Harris
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club

"A man's not a man when he takes the lower road,
Dragging his tail to cover his tracks" -dTb
Gsxr1100
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Re: Original Students

Post by Gsxr1100 »

Don't Forget Tom Bradigan, Jerry's older brother.