Power Exercises

Jerry Martin
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Power Exercises

Post by Jerry Martin »

I thought I'd create a list of some exercises that I use to build up my cardio.

Maybe some of you will find it helpful. Maybe someone can add their suggestions for other exercises.

Generally, before you do anything too strenuous you should warmup and stretch. The older you are, the more time you need to devote to the pre-workout. I'm 38 now and find that I'm actually spending more time on the stretching and warming up than I am training hard. It's just something that I need to do to be safe and protect my body.

warmup - 5 minutes of jump rope or running around the room
stretching - 15 minutes - traditional neck, shoulders, arms, hips, dynamic stretching kicks, seated stretches, etc...
rest about 3-5 minutes
do 2 minute rounds of the following exercises; pushups, abs, jumping squats and curls. Each exercise is done for 30 seconds. Try to be explosive, not slow and steady, even if you can't keep it up for the whole 30 seconds. This will build your ability to recup when you are "resting"
shadowbox for 1 minute as a rest.
30 seconds lunges (jumping lunges if you can)
back to shadow boxing 1 minute
jump with knees to chest 15 times
Shadow box
Pushups, abs, jumping squats and curls (or neck exercises on the floor)
shadow box
pushups, mountain climbers (alternating knees to chest from pushup position)
shadow box
sprawling 30 seconds
etc, etc, etc,

Basically, the back bone is the pushups, abs, jumping squats and neck or curls with shadow boxing as the rest period. Sprinkle in the lunges, sprawls, knees to chest and mountain climbers to keep it interesting. Try to do this for at least 15 minutes. Trust me, you will feel it.

The best bet is to pick a target number, say 10, to start out with. Try to do this number of reps per exercise. So 10 pushups in 30 seconds, crunches in 30 seconds, jumping squats in 30 seconds and 10 alternating curls in 30 seconds. This sounds easy but it's not. Remember to explode and also that you're going to be doing this for a while (15-30 minutes is optimal) halfway through, you will be hard pressed to hit your original number.

For those of you that are interested in learning more, just ask and I'll try to explain in further detail if necessary.

Peace and safe training, Jerry
"Before enlightenment ,I chopped wood and carried water. After enlightenment, I chopped wood and carried water."

An old Zen proverb
lorene
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by lorene »

I?ve been working with this idea of explosive power lately with my workouts. With explosive power, I work kicks, sit ups/crunches, side to side lunges, sprints, and core dance movement.

Core dance movement may be interesting to martial artists. Besides being a hell of a work out, it is a method from my old dance company days training initiation and expansion of movement (in varying speeds) from the core. Often we used this to ?shape space? for the audience. Core movement creates pressure/release around the body and within. For ?experiencing pressure? in space around the body, we would visualize cutting through, expanding/shrinking, and playing with or forming the air as we moved, thinking of the air as heavier or more solid. We also utilized a lot of coiling/uncoiling, open/close, whipping, and ground movement. Core movement provides a lot of momentum, ?readiness to move?, moving balance and explosive moves.

My overall routine at the gym:

(I stretch out fully midway in my routine? after I?ve warmed up. I dive right in with squats to warm up.)
Start with squats with 10 pound medicine ball - fast, 10x 3 sets
Switch to chest press and low rows.
Lunges forward, back, side for both legs = 1 rep x 30
Full stretch/flexibility routine
Traditional sit ups (30), crunches (30), leg lifts/squeezing with stability ball (30)
Push ups (30)
Leg swings (60)
Ab/adductor machine
Straight leg lifts from hanging (30)

Also, on a good day I run 2 miles by the bay? otherwise I walk/run 1-2 miles.

And, of course, there?s my martial arts training too!

Lorene
Jerry Martin
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Core strength

Post by Jerry Martin »

Hi Lorene,

Funny you mentioning core training. I was going to post something about that topic also and this gives me the perfect lead in.

I am unfamiliar with your type of core training. It sounds interesting though and draws yet another parallel to martial arts from dance. Neat!

For my core strengthening workouts, I use Kettlebells. I'm not sure how many of you reading this have heard of them but they are excellent for not only strengthening the core, but if trained in a particular way, can strengthen it in the context of how a martial artist might need core strength. For example, having someone, pushing, pulling or trying to throw you.

Check out http://www.fullkontact.com/ for more info on Kettlebell training in a martial arts context. The whole thing is put together by a guy named Steve Cotter. He's a very impressive man with a powerful resume of fitness training and a martial arts expert in his own right.

I've done some hard training in my career and this stuff is about as hard as it gets. But it's not mindless weightlifting. It's designed to strengthen your posterior chain and to promote a better grounded feeling. Which is of the utmost importance to us martial artists.

Enjoy, Jerry
"Before enlightenment ,I chopped wood and carried water. After enlightenment, I chopped wood and carried water."

An old Zen proverb
Todd
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Kettle Bells

Post by Todd »

Jerry

The Marine Corps adophted the use of kettle bells for their martial arts program, ofcourse had great suscess. I agree they are definitely a good tool to improve ones performance concerning martial arts. I personally like to utilize the rubber stretching bands. They have different ones with different tensions. I have found not only they tone but they seem to only build the fine motor skills. My reaction time is much faster. My initial relfex response to block or to strike is much quicker. Even as simple as using surgical tubing is good to use. And its inexpensive. But just thought I'd share. You both have great idea's.

Todd
Guerrilla Tactics, " Who and how will they remember your name? "