Yang style and more

a forum specifically for the variation(s) of Taiji found within Reeders' arts.
lorene
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Yang style and more

Post by lorene »

Any interest in posting about following topics:

Differences between Tai Chi Chuan systems
Neigong
spiritual and physical qigong practice
Six Harmony Theory
The Three Treasures
Jing
Transportation: Root at the feet?control at the waist?striking
Tai Chi symbol
Types of meditation

I?ve recently looked into the lineage/differences between the 2 Yang Tai Chi Chuan styles I practice from the Boston Gin Soon Tai Chi Club and William C.C. Chen. William C.C. Chen was a student of Cheng Man-Ch'ing who learned from Yeung Ching Po(Yang Chengfu). Yang Chengfu is the grandson of Yang Lu-chan (founder of Yang style). However, Cheng Man-Ch'ing's changes to the Yang style may or may not be officially recognized by the Yang family (debated). Also some consider Cheng?s Tai Chi to be a unique style (Cheng style). Gin Soon studied under Yeung Sau Chung, son of Yang Chengfu, and is considered one of three disciples.

I am interested in hearing what people have to say about the differences in approach between Cheng Man-Ch?ing and traditional Yang family style.

Also, Hello to friends in Rochester and elsewhere. I have been in South Portland, Maine for 2 months now. 1 month left to go for OT internship here. I also started teaching dance to adolescent girls at the hospital twice a week. My next site is back in Boston on a brain injury unit. I am continuing to learn a lot, enjoying cool fresh ocean air and lovely beaches, and have a pleasant mostly abandoned sunny parking lot to practice forms, etc on near my gym (or a backyard with plenty of mosquitoes and children?s toys).

Lorene
lorene
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Post by lorene »

Hello Mike,

I'm happy to hear from you and Jen. I will send an e-mail to you both soon, or better yet I will see the growing family soon...

I respond slowly to posts but I will try to write a little here and there. I enjoy this format for keeping track of discussions.

Peace

Lorene
jkinnear
Site Admin
Site Admin

Six Harmonies

Post by jkinnear »

Lorene,

Please elborate a little more on what you mean by the Six Harmonies for everyone's benefit.

I hope we can get discuss all of your topics as time goes on.

The Six Harmonies is every interesting. They seem to be one of the earliest ideas from both medicine and gung fu. I think there is a lot of info about them in the Huang Di Nei Jing, which I have yet to read from cover to cover so I can not speak in detail on that. Maybe now that I am done with College I can find the time.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Kinnear L.Ac., Dipl. O.M., MSOM

The only constant is change, the only absolute is vodka.
lorene
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Six Harmonies

Post by lorene »

Jeffrey,
I agree that the 6 harmonies is an interesting topic - though an expansive topic to attempt to write about, and since I have limited exposure to the concepts much less practical experience, it is hard to share. However, that is why I wanted to post about it. I am hoping to learn more. Please add information, questions, etc...

The Six Harmonies

There are three internal harmonies and three external harmonies.

Internal

mind is in harmony with intent,
intent in harmont with qi,
qi in harmony with power

External

shoulders in harmony with hips,
elbows in harmony with knees,
hands in harmony with feet

From what I understand, the 'intent' is key in moving qi and body toward a target.

Attention must be paid to keeping tranquility and relaxation of the body for a good result. In other words, "Peace of mind" and a relaxed body is monitored by intent, as well as attention to breathing and concentration on each movement.

The correct body movement (mechanics) gets the qi/power to the intended target.

The above statements could each become essays, but that's it for now... I'm off to train :)

BTW- I am not familiar with Huang Di Nei Jing - I will look it up. I know the feeling about college...

Peace and thanks,

Lorene
jkinnear
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liu He Ba Fa

Post by jkinnear »

Ok. It appears to me that you are talking about what I know as Liu He Ba Fa, which of course tranlates to Six Harmonies (how could I have forgotten) and is (I believe) sometimes called Water Boxing.

From the way I was taught, each system has their own way of cultivating the six harmonies.

Xing Yi has San Ti Shi - Three Pile Standing

Ba Gua has Ba Mu Zhang - Eight Mother Plams

Taiji has Qi Xing Zhuang - Seven Star Standing

During each of these the practitioner stands (or walks for Ba Gua) while concentrating on stationary or moving points inside the body. By connecting these points together with your Yi (intent, Mind) the body accurately develops the six harmonies internally and then they manifest externally in your movements.

These cultivation exercises will cut years off your labor (gung fu - time and energy training) of developing the six harmonies. I imagine you can develop without these exercises, but martial arts is about effiency in everything, why waste time.
Jeffrey Kinnear L.Ac., Dipl. O.M., MSOM

The only constant is change, the only absolute is vodka.
Colombo
First Message Posted
First Message Posted

Tai Chi Novice

Post by Colombo »

Hello all
I've enjoyed this discussion very much, as I am interested in Tai Chi, but know next to nothing about it.

Any advice on what to look for/ Questions to ask etc in choosing a school, finding a teacher etc.?

Yang vs Chen?

Any and all help appreciated
Chris Colombo
Jerry Martin
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by Jerry Martin »

Hi Chris,

From my limited experience with T'ai Chi I understand that Yang style is the easiest to start with if you're a beginner. The movements are easier to under stand. However, I hear that Chen style has superior applications.

Talk with Sifu George. He may be able to hook you up with Master Galvin. I think he does a military style (possibly a Chen derivitive).

Peace, Jerry
"Before enlightenment ,I chopped wood and carried water. After enlightenment, I chopped wood and carried water."

An old Zen proverb